1. VERY FEW PEOPLE KNOW THAT I… am over 40 years old.
2. WHEN I’M NOT ON TOUR … my favourite past time is growing herbs and vegetables in the car park out the back of my warehouse.
3. WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT MY ART IS… working with the whole ensemble on one trick, like a giant human pyramid using 7 people.
4. A LIFE LESSON I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH CENTRE COLLEGE STUDENTS IS: Follow your heart. You might not get where you want, but you will get where you need to be.
5. I DEFINE ART AS: Expression through technique.
6. MY MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT IN SHOW BUSINESS THUS FAR WAS: Rescuing a woman from a broken elevator, while I was dressed as “King Willy Wheaty” (a giant puffed wheat dressed as a king). A true super-hero moment.
7. THE PERSON WHO MOST INFLUENCED ME: Was my grandmother, who told me I could perform if I wanted too. And not to listen to people who try and tell you what you can and can’t achieve.
8. IF I COULD BE ON STAGE WITH ANYONE, PAST OR PRESENT, ALIVE OR DECEASED, FICTIONAL OR REAL, IT WOULD BE: Mr Bean. Totally funny, totally inspirational, totally awesome.
9. WHILE TOURING, ONE OF MY GUILTY PLEASURES IS: Buying rare second hand books on Australian and Southeast Asian history.
10. IF I COULD ENSURE THAT THE AUDIENCE TAKES HOME ONE THING AFTER MY PERFORMANCE, IT WOULD BE: NEVER GIVE UP!
More about the artist:
Jeremy “Jez” Davies has been a core member of Canberra’s Warehouse Circus, co-founded circus company Kronik and has co-created many independent theatre productions. He runs Melbourne’s major independent circus training space Blue Circus Studios. He has also toured puppetry to 42nd Street New York. This is his second stint with Circus Oz.
More about Circus Oz:
Get set for the breathtakingly brilliant, the beautiful, and the absurd as Australia’s Circus Oz fills Newlin Hall with its renowned brand of collective physicality and mayhem. Stunt-jumping acrobats defy physics, fearless aerial artists laugh at gravity, slapstick knockabouts descend into chaos, and live onstage musicians rock the house! Founded in 1977 out of a desire to reinvent the dynamism of the traditional circus while displaying a signature Aussie voice, these acrobats, trapeze artists, jugglers, musicians, and comedians have put a fresh face on highly skilled stuntsinfused with a healthy dose of satire and sauciness for audiences across 26 countries on five continents. Each show—like every Circus Oz performance over the past 34 years—is a one-of-a-kind wonder. “With a raw, upbeat energy and lovely spirit” (Sunday Telegraph), this audacious spectacle of fun has performed on Broadway for family audiences for the past three years.
Jeremy Davies will perform with Circus Oz in Newlin Hall at Centre College’s Norton Center for the Arts on Saturday and Sunday, February 15 & 16, 2013. Tickets are available on our website or by calling the box office at 1-877-HIT-SHOW.